From Laurent Hasson <lhas...@rim.com>
Subject Re: Pluginization FTW
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 00:22:47 GMT
Converging WW and Cordova is a stated goal on our end :) How we get there is the fun question.
The work Gord has been doing is actually in line with our internal direction, and I look to
Gord to provide the rails to a converged path :)

LDH (Laurent Hasson)
Technical Director, BlackBerry Web Platform
Research In Motion
Email: lhasson@rim.com
Mobile: 646-460-7066
"That's who you remind me of: an evil Mr. Rogers!" - Simon Phoenix
Sent from my BlackBerry Torch!

----- Original Message -----
From: Filip Maj [mailto:fil@adobe.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 04:36 PM
To: callback-dev@incubator.apache.org <callback-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Pluginization FTW

Just a quick note, the RIM guys have talked in passing (nothing official -
just what I have heard on the interwebz) about actually converting BB
WebWorks to more of a (current) cordova implementation, re: single
extension for everything. So in terms of being "more compliant" to what
WebWorks recommends, what we're doing currently, as far as I understand,
may actually be better. Heh.

Perhaps Gord/Dan/Ken/Laurent can comment on that in more detail and more
authority than I can.

On 4/18/12 1:58 PM, "Drew Walters" <deedubbu@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been experimenting with what it would look like for Cordova
>BlackBerry to be modified such that all the API are separated out into
>plugins. For those that want to cut to the chase, here's my repo:
>
>https://github.com/deedubbu/cordova-blackberry-pluggable
>
>This repo is a representation of what the binary download would be for
>the end user and is not a fork of either cordova-js or
>cordova-blackberry-webworks.  Without being able to see the change
>history it might be difficult to tell what I've done so I'll provide
>some high level details here:
>
>1. Separated the native code and associated JavaScript into
>independent WebWorks extensions.  Previously there was only a single
>extension.  This allows us to make use of the BlackBerry WebWorks
>framework build/config tools which handle packaging up only the
>necessary code when building an app.
>2. All Cordova JavaScript is injected from the native side. No need to
>include cordova.js in your application, all the Cordova JavaScript is
>loaded before the applications pages load.
>3. WebWorks Extension API is hidden behind the existing Cordova Plugin
>interface.  Plugin developer doesn't really need to know that they are
>developing a WebWorks extension.  The only new interface requirement
>for a plugin is to invoke a new constructor.
>4. JavaScript API are defined as modules (no change) and can
>additionally call cordova.addPlugin(...) or cordova.mergePlugin(...)
>to override/merge global namespace.
>5. Installation of Cordova is a simple matter of copying a folder to
>the WebWorks SDK ext folder.
>6. Installation of a Cordova plugin is a simple matter of copying a
>folder to the WebWorks SDK ext folder.
>7. Enabling a Cordova plugin requires specifying the feature id in
>projects config.xml. plugins.xml is not used.
>
>Ok, that's a quick brain dump. The README contains a few more details.
>I plan on eventually pushing branches to my forks for cordova-js and
>cordova-blackberry-webworks which will show the actual code changes.

and may be unlawful.