From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: endless refactoring of plugins until "Cordova 2.x"
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:03:49 GMT
There is very little that we broke for plugins between 1.3 and 1.5/1.6.
The specific issue in terms of enabling plugin development in our past few
releases and breaking those in the next few releases are as follows:

- renaming phonegap.js to cordova.js
- removing certain plugin-specific methods on the PhoneGap global:
PhoneGap.addPlugin, PhoneGap.addResource, PhoneGap.hasResource from the
JS. Note: addResource / addPlugin are identical
- removing PhoneGap and window.plugins as globals

In 1.6 currently, we have added the above methods onto the cordova global
to enable backwards compat. Additionally we also drop the cordova global
onto the PhoneGap global to hopefully trip users up less.

We can create a clear migration path for users that used these methods
using the module system in cordova-js:

- cordova.define() for addPlugin/addResource
- try{cordova.require('mypluginid'); return true;}catch(e){return false;}
as replacement for hasResource

That is *it* (I THINK - please correct me if I'm wrong on this). Anything
else we develop moving forwards is completely new and users of previous
releases have no expectations about that.

I don't really see a need for two development streams if the above couple
points are the only implementation bits that are holding us back. Drop
deprecation notices for the above for all releases leading up to 2.0 and
remove them in 2.0. Blog + document the approach (e.g. Above code bits) to
migrate old methods listed above to new methods.

That's all I think is necessary unless I'm missing other APIs that plugin
authors used in pre-1.5 plugins.