From Jukka Zitting <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re: [VOTE] Tim Kim as committer
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:26:21 GMT

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Filip Maj <> wrote:
> I'm confused as to why we have to have *any* barriers to entry, especially
> if the community votes on committership anyways.
> I would be a fan of a "if x people vote +1, and no one voted -1, let the
> person in" mentality.
> What downsides does this approach pose?

It should be fine as long as the same criteria is applied to all
members of the community. We don't want a situation where only one of
two otherwise identical community members gets nominated and voted in
while the other is either not nominated in the first place or rejected
with a -1 vote. Having the expected level of contribution (even if
it's just "show up on the mailing list and ask to be given commit
access") written down somewhere as Ross suggested helps prevent this

Note also that by granting someone membership in the (P)PMC, you also
give them veto power [1] over all code changes. That's not necessarily
a problem, just something to take in to account when inviting new

Jukka Zitting

View raw message