From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Re: [VOTE] Tim Kim as committer
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:44:19 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
> Nothing you said implied anything like that, Ross. Rather, there was a
> discussion that came up earlier on the private mailing list where a mentor
> said that a potential committer coming in and being voted on inclusion
> *needs* some manner of patch / code / documentation / anything contributed
> to the project (or at least in the queue for inclusion) before being
> allowed in. This essentially stopped someone's inclusion into the project
> (first ever -1 vote!).

To elaborate a bit on that vote (I was the one who cast the -1), while
contributions are a prerequisite for committership (Apache is a
meritocracy) the exact amount and level of expected contributions is
up to the (P)PMC to set. You could even decide that just joining the
dev@ list and asking for committership shows enough committment to the
project.

The important bit here is that this level is applied equally to all
contributors. At the time of the mentioned vote there were dozens of
other contributors with more merit in terms of public contributions,
but they hadn't yet been nominated for committership. This implies
that there indeed is an implicit entry barrier even if it hasn't
spelled out. Seeing that the nominee hadn't yet reached the level of
contributions from other non-committers, the only reasonable vote IMHO
was -1.

> I would prefer we eliminate that requirement and simply rely on the
> community's existing committers to use their vote responsibly.

In general I agree with you here. There's always an aspect of
subjective judgement when casting votes like this, and trying to
reduce that to written rules is a futile effort.

However, since there's at least the perception of an uneven entry
barrier, I think it would be a good to clear up at least general
outlines of what is expected from contributors before they'll be
nominated for committership. The wiki page at
http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/BecomingACommitter is a good starting
point for that.

See also http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html for related
Apache documentation and http://markmail.org/message/4nknqowil3yuw6tl