From Jesse <purplecabb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: navigator.orientation API + tests
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:48:43 GMT
I'm cool with removing the tests.
Should we test for other polyfils? WebSQL? localStorage? console.log?

Here is a good write up on some of the inconsistencies with orientation [1]
And a test page [2]

[1]
http://www.matthewgifford.com/2011/12/22/a-misconception-about-window-orientation/

[2]  http://www.matthewgifford.com/tests/orientation/

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> OK, if you guys think we should really keep it in iOS, that's fine. That
> being said, we should REALLY either:
>
> - remove the orientation tests from mobile spec (or don't include them in
> the auto test runs) and let this be a magical iOS only API
>
> OR:
>
> - add support for this API to all other platforms, and document that it
> exists and how to use it.
>
> On 3/14/12 11:08 AM, "Shazron" <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >According to this, resize event might not be reliable on iOS to detect
> >orientation change:
> >
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1649086/detect-rotation-of-android-phon
> >e-in-the-browser-with-javascript
> >
> >In my opinion if we chase a standard but it's not reliable - it's just
> >going to frustrate users, especially if we take away a feature that is
> >already working well.
> >
> >On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
> >> My opinion is it should be a W3C spec for it be considered "default
> >> browser behavior".
> >>
> >> The only "specification" for this that I can find is Apple's
> >>documentation.

the backfilling

was to support
in Mobile Safari.