From Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: MAC Address and User Agent
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 19:21:49 GMT
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> I like the idea of adding cordova/phonegap to the end of the user agent
> string. If purely for analytics it makes sense to me. Not entirely
> clobbering that string, just adding a "Cordova Web View" or something like
> that to the end of the UA string.

What I would find useful as an application developer is a reliable way to
tell that I'm being loaded in a Cordova view as opposed to a web browser,
so I know if I should load up the relevant phonegap.js/cordova.js etc.
(Having an app that works as-is in a browser is *hugely* helpful for
debugging when possible!)

What our Wikipedia app does now is to check the user-agent, and assumes
that Android or iPhone user-agents are running in PhoneGap, while other
things initialize without PhoneGap.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / brion @ wikimedia.org)