From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: navigator.orientation API + tests
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:40:00 GMT
The iOS window.orientation and orientationchange event items (which
are not W3C, and has been in iOS since 1.1) was to support these
features in a UIWebView which came for free in Mobile Safari. Apple's
description is here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariWebContent/HandlingEvents/HandlingEvents.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006511-SW16

Apple already supports the DeviceMotionEvent and
DeviceOrientationEvents in iOS 4.2 (which we backfill support for
older iOS versions) and those are W3C drafts are I believe.
http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/safari-ios-accelerometer-websockets-html5

Also those two events are not exact replacements for
window.orientation - we would need to have to have equivalents /
educate users on how to map the event values to the appropriate
window.orientation ones.

Shaz

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> In mobile-spec we have a series of tests checking an API available at navigator.orientation
[1]. From what I can tell / remember, this is something that we support as a legacy, as neither
Android or BlackBerry have it but I believe there are leftovers in iOS (before cordova-js
integration) that still have this API.

> I do not think it is based on any W3C spec. The closest thing I could find is something
the Geolocation Working Group are drafting up, an event called device orientation [2].

> My thinking is, remove this API completely. It is not part of our documentation and as
far as I can tell only iOS supports it right now. Instead, set new tasks to implement the
W3C deviceorientation event (or perhaps come up with a simpler, synchronous API of our own!).