From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: navigator.orientation API + tests
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:02:45 GMT
If we go ahead with removing iOS < 4.2 support, the backfilling of
support of the two events in JS can be removed:

I'll let others chime in about removing window.orientation in iOS
before adding an issue in jira.

If we remove it, here are my recommendations:
   1) Remove iOS < 4.2 support in Cordova
   2) Write docs regarding what replaces window.orientation, and how
to use the new event(s) to detect simple orientation changes

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> The iOS window.orientation and orientationchange event items (which
> are not W3C, and has been in iOS since 1.1) was to support these
> features in a UIWebView which came for free in Mobile Safari. Apple's
> description is here:
> https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariWebContent/HandlingEvents/HandlingEvents.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006511-SW16
>
> Apple already supports the DeviceMotionEvent and
> DeviceOrientationEvents in iOS 4.2 (which we backfill support for
> older iOS versions) and those are W3C drafts are I believe.
> http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/safari-ios-accelerometer-websockets-html5
>
> Also those two events are not exact replacements for
> window.orientation - we would need to have to have equivalents /
> educate users on how to map the event values to the appropriate
> window.orientation ones.
>
> Shaz
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> In mobile-spec we have a series of tests checking an API available at navigator.orientation
[1]. From what I can tell / remember, this is something that we support as a legacy, as neither
Android or BlackBerry have it but I believe there are leftovers in iOS (before cordova-js
integration) that still have this API.

>> I do not think it is based on any W3C spec. The closest thing I could find is something
the Geolocation Working Group are drafting up, an event called device orientation [2].

>> My thinking is, remove this API completely. It is not part of our documentation and
as far as I can tell only iOS supports it right now. Instead, set new tasks to implement the
W3C deviceorientation event (or perhaps come up with a simpler, synchronous API of our own!).