From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apple rejecting apps that access the device's UUID
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:21:45 GMT
Thanks Josh - that's what I've been warning people about in the Google
Groups. We are just filling in functionality that we promised in the
API for device.uuid going forward. Obviously the doc description for
the property and expectations will change. Devs will have to adjust.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Josh Marinacci <joshua@marinacci.org> wrote:
> Apple doesn't want you to have a way of uniquely permanently identifying a device. Any
method you find to do this will eventually be closed.  It probably isn't what you want anyway.
What are you really trying to track? The user or the device? For example, what happens if
the user's phone is destroyed and they reinstall the app on a new device.  It's the same
user and same app and same data, but a different device. Or what if they have two devices
running the same app (iPhone and iPad).  Instead you should create and save some sort of
unique identifier the first time the app is installed. Reference this to uniquely identify
this *particular* install of the *app* on this *particular* device. If you need something
that survives across app installs and devices then you should create a server based user account
and let the user identify themselves upon reinstall (ex: Facebook, twitter, etc.)

> --
> Josh Marinacci
> joshondesign.com
>

> On Friday, March 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Shazron wrote:
>
>> Actually - we could get the nic address on iOS through some BSD API
>> (legitimately). Until Apple bans it of course - which I figure they
>> would if people start using this as the UUID now - so the risk is high
>> if we use the mac address.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Jesse MacFadyen
>> <purplecabbage@gmail.com (mailto:purplecabbage@gmail.com)> wrote:
>> > iPads and iPods don't have phone numbers and there is no API to get it
>> > on iPhone.
>> >
>> > Same for nic and any other device specific value.
>> >
>> > Re: file path, is the guid per install, or is it really just a hash of
>> > deviceId and appId? Does it survive app updates? resync's?
>> >
>> > File path is not a guid on WP7, in fact it is unknown. Sandboxed wpapp://
>> >

>> > Cheers,
>> >  Jesse
>> >
>> > Sent from my iPhone5

GUIDs for