From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: endless refactoring of plugins until "Cordova 2.x"
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:08:27 GMT
On one hand I buy into this to shield from change and allow ppl time
to migrate. On the other, thats the point of a point release to me. To
make the migration incremental so that 2.x does NOT break all the
things and is viewed as a fucked up release.

This will mean 2.x work stays in a branch and has to be constantly
rebased which may be really painful for implementors.

Either way, separation of bugs from new-ness smells pragmatic; and I
know we share the same goals here of plugins for everything. Before we
go ahead w/ the assumption everything from here is drastic can we
first outline exactly what happens next?

- Removal of undocumented but in use globals.
- Consolidation of tooling for plugin package validation,
installation, and removal.
- Refactor of native code into discreet packages across platforms into
atomic units called plugins. Eg. cordova-plugin-geolocation
- Refacotor coho to allow for composing a release of particular plugins.
- Document correct procedure for generating a plugin.
- Automate plugin discovery ala npm/cpan/rubygems/pypi/etc.

What am I missing? Lets update the roadmap so we can allow ppl to stay
bleeding towards 2.x and be on the same page for whats happening next.

Agree, plugins are in a hard way right now but this is all for the
better for them!