From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Mar 2012
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:22:32 GMT
> It's taking a bit longer than expected to produce an official Apache
> release of Cordova. What do you feel are (and have been) the biggest
> problems along the way?

Oh just the usual overconfidence and optimism of a software developer! =)

I do find the Apache documentation a little scattered and verbose.

> AFAICT at least the IP review part has been a bit complicated. Do you
> think better documentation of the requirements, more active
> involvement by us mentors, or something else could have helped here?

Our mentors have been super responsive and helpful so I couldn't ask
for more there. Better docs would be the biggest thing in my mind.

> Do you think some of the requirements were too strict and should
> perhaps be challenged? Other feedback on how we could make the process
> smoother?

No, I like the formality of a release. I would not challenge this part
of the Apache practice though I would encourage more cadence be a part
of The Apache Way. Regular releases are absolutely a driver for
adoption and confidence in our committers.

> Another area of some confusion are the packaging and distribution bits
> that especially Steven was looking at. The related ASF documentation
> is arguably a bit fragmented and at times perhaps too verbose.

Yup

> Similarly to the above questions, any ideas on how we could/should
> simplify these things?

Actually, and I have no idea how we can do this, I think Apache could
really use a solid IxD/UX person fulltime rework the docs to the
benefit of all. The information is all there but parsing it is the
tricky part.