From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: platform 'errgen'
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:54:22 GMT
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:19, Roland Avelino <lanavelino@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is what I would like to see as well with PhoneGap in the future, to
> support the desktop platform as a form of a mobile platform since there
> still exists a large number of devices in the netbook/ultrabook form.

So, although `errgen` can work on a desktop, the goal of the `errgen`
platform is NOT that it is `Cordova for the desktop`; that's something
else. This would just be something you could happen to use on a desktop.
 It would obviously also work on a mobile device.

> Does Cordova really need to remove the native-ness functionality and opt
> for the framework to _just_ work in a desktop browser? Perhaps, we could
> support/opt to utilise HTML5 features like Geolocation/Storage (which
> already exists in Cordova). But, how will we support browsers that do not
> provide the HTML5 features, through poly-fills?

Is there a future for Cordova to support the Desktop platform with most of
> it's Mobile _native_ features supported, e.g., Geolocation, Storage, etc.?

I guess I sort of see that there are many possibilities for `platforms`
here, all specialized to do different things.  It wasn't really my
intention to build a Cordova platform that ONLY EVER GENERATED ERRORS.  It
was just a tactical decision to make the implementation easy.  But after I
did it, I happened to think - "Ya know, it might actually be useful to test
your app on a 'platform' that only ever generated errors".

Having 'Desktop' versions of Cordova clearly make sense to someone, since
some of that work was done back in the "old PhoneGap days".  I don't think
the "use native versions of accelerometer/geo/etc" is really any different
here than on the mobile platforms though - of course, for production, you
want to use the native versions as much as possible and not even have
Cordova code in the code path.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org