From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject endless refactoring of plugins until "Cordova 2.x"
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:00:35 GMT
see:
    "DEPRECATE and then remove "plugins" and "PhoneGap" global objects from
JavaScript implementation"

So, at this point, it looks like anyone with plugins who wants to follow
the Cordova releases will be in a constant state of refactoring to
accommodate each new point release.  That is so painful.

Add to this, our release cycle is 4 weeks, so we realistically have a
couple of weeks to implement refactorings, such as described in the
referenced bug.  Which means we don't have a lot of time to capture
feedback from those refactorings before they become "new API".

This really isn't great.

I think at this point, I'd like to freeze the 1.x "API", and have a
separate stream of development for 2.x.

Downside:

- separate streams of development

Upside:

- easier to stabilize 1.x level API
- longer-lived streams of development for 2.x
- most folks will only have to refactor their plugins once, from 1.x to
2.0, instead of 1.5 -> 1.6, 1.6 -> 1.7, ...

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org