From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject source license comments in incubator-cordova-js js files
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:48:29 GMT
The source files in incubator-cordova-js generally do not contain Apache
source license comments, for good reason.  Since we bundle these files
together into a single 'wad' js file (pkg/cordova-<platform>.js), we don't
all those source headers for all the individual bits in 'wad'.

OTOH, I suspect that we will run afoul of Apache's desire to have source
license comments in all our source files.  Maybe what we're doing is fine.

But see Luis Villa's blog post [1], which references a fairly recent Apache
issue in Legal Discuss [2].  In addition, if we eventually see moving our
existing plugins (like accelerometer) to a form where they're separately
installable/removable, then it seems like there's more motivation to
putting the source license comments in there.

I think there's an easy answer here.  Include the source header, so we
don't have any question about NOT having them, and then have the build
script remove them.  The build would strip the first comment in the file,
assuming it's only preceded by whitespace: replace(^\s*\/\*.*?\*\///).  And
then the rule is: "the first thing in your file after any whitespace must
be an Apache source license comment".

[1]
http://tieguy.org/blog/2012/03/17/on-the-importance-of-per-file-license-information/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-124