From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: endless refactoring of plugins until "Cordova 2.x"
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:59:15 GMT
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:22, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> What are we looking for as a resolution here? Commit that 1.7 we
> document the plugin api?

It's already defacto documented, in the code, and articles like Andy's.  I
don't see the need to document something that in theory has a short
lifetime.

My worry is that if want to continue to support folks who are living the
bleeding edge of using 3rd party plugins or writing their own, or even
reshipping the core runtime with tweaks, it's going to be hard to manage
THAT and moving to 2.x in the same code stream.

To me, separating the streams allows us to do 2.x work WITH NO REGARD TO
1.x COMPATIBILITY.  Which seems like a huge win.  The downside is rebasing
fixes for 1.x back into 2.x, but ... if the code is going to change so
dramatically, how much change is there going to be there?

Three words, and an explanatory movie: "total protonic reversal"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE

Another alternative is to just tell people, WHO ARE USING 3rd PARTY
PLUGINS: "look, we're doing breaking things is the 1.x stream, starting in
1.5; if you need stability, you probably don't want to take our monthly
releases".  It's hard to imagine how we realistically "document" this, and
will in the end just cause more questions.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org