From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Greetings plus discussion of WebSockets for Android
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:14:02 GMT
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 01:12, Marlin Mixon <marlin.mixon@gmail.com> wrote:

> So what that means is if we incorporate Java-WebSocket into Cordova
> Android it should be pretty straightforward and the security issues
> should then be resolved.

What other platforms/versions need WebSocket support?  There's a tiny bit
of info available here:

    http://caniuse.com/websockets

Interesting that iOS 4.1 doesn't support WebSocket, as that's the last
version you can upgrade a 2nd gen iPodTouch to, for instance.  It won't be
able to make use of a Java version of WebSocket, obviously.

I'm wondering about another possibility, instead of using a Java version -
using a JavaScript version - say from socket.io (client):

    https://github.com/LearnBoost/socket.io-client

The idea would be that we have a "portable" version of the API, which ends
up calling into native socket code to push and pull bytes over the network.
 That way, the work in "porting" to a platform just involves making sure
there's a native "socket" API for the platform.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org