From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CB-280 - Improve layout of cordova-js scripts
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:17:19 GMT
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:46, Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:37, Gord Tanner <gord@tinyhippos.com> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> If we could somehow lay things out that we can handled more of the
>> platform
>> specific insertions and scripts in a convention over configuration basis
>> that would be a huge win.
>>
>> If I have foo.js in the main folder and a blackberry/foo.js.  I would
>> expect it would overwrite the foo.js during blackberry's build and only
>> include the platform specific one in the compiled source.
>

> Yup.  Again, kinda crude, as this is simple to do for single files, may
> get more complicated if you want to do something like 'delete common thing,
> don't replace it with anything', or dealing with subdirectories.  We can
> defer those potential complications until we hit them.

Well, dang it, I already have a use case for this 'delete the common thing,
don't replace it with anything' requirement.

It turns out that today, this is just an iOS issue, today, near as I can
tell.  What if we have other platforms that need this later (or even
today!)?

I suppose, for now, we can just copy the ios console.js (or whatever it
ends up being called) into each platform that needs it, but ... that's
obviously a little problematic.  To some extent, it would be nice to have a
'portable' console.js in a common place, and then let each platform decide
whether or not to include it at all.  Platforms that didn't want it (all
but iOS?) could have an empty 'console.js' module in their platform dir,
but that seems dumb.

Almost seems like the best thing is some kind of configuration (ah
gr*&()*&) where you'd say, for iOS, "here's an additional module I want you
to add".  And then, we'd need a new directory tree of these 'portable, but
not used by everyone' modules.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org