From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: endless refactoring of plugins until "Cordova 2.x"
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:20:36 GMT
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 12:08, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> On one hand I buy into this to shield from change and allow ppl time
> to migrate. On the other, thats the point of a point release to me. To
> make the migration incremental so that 2.x does NOT break all the
> things and is viewed as a fucked up release.

We seem to have been saying all along "plugins will need to change".  And I
think it's a given, plugins will be in a different shape for 2.x than where
they're at in 1.5 (just to pick a particular 1.x release).

I'd just rather not have to say for every 1.x release from here on out -
"plugins will need to change".  I'd rather do that once, at some point in
the future, for 2.x.

> This will mean 2.x work stays in a branch and has to be constantly
> rebased which may be really painful for implementors.

Yes, there will be some rebasing pain with a separate stream.  One thing
that would make life a little easier, for the "core" plugins, would be to
say that in the 2.x stream, they will not have "fixes" from 1.x rebased
into them.  They'll remain at 1.x level functionality/bugs/etc.  The main
point of 2.x is to get a new stable core and plugin architecture - the
actual meat of the plugins doesn't matter as much as that.

When we're finished cooking 2.x, then we rebase the core plugins, which
will give us some great experience in telling people how to rebase their
own plugins.

> Either way, separation of bugs from new-ness smells pragmatic; and I
> know we share the same goals here of plugins for everything. Before we
> go ahead w/ the assumption everything from here is drastic can we
> first outline exactly what happens next?
>
> ... <things that will change>

The problem is, we don't know what 2.x looks like, in the end, so WE HAVE
NO IDEA WHAT WILL CHANGE.  Having a separate 2.x stream lets us figure out
what will change, independent of further 1.x releases.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org