From Tommy Williams <to...@devgeeks.org>
Subject Question about the roadmap for deprecations in iOS (plugin related)
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:15:56 GMT
Hi,

I was whipping up a plugin a couple days ago for iOS that needed to push a modal view controller
much like ChildBrowser does:

presentModalViewController:animated:

I looked at how ChildBrowser managed this from within a plugin and tried implementing it in
my plugin, but got a great many warnings about deprecations. I looked into it and these are
the deprecations that were part of the changes made to support using PhoneGap/Cordova as a
component in 1.4.x. I imagine the widely used ChildBrowser will also be affected.

the ticket at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-166 mentions upgrade docs are planned,
but they seemed to be more about upgrading projects ("create a new project", yadda yadda)
more so than upgrading from a plugin standpoint.

tl;dr version:

Is there a plan for a guide on upgrading plugins that rely on PhoneGapViewController or [super
appController] etc?

To be honest, I would be just as happy with someone updating ChildBrowser so I can mooch off
that work, but it would be nice for plugin devs to have a bit more documentation. Plugins
break with new releases quite frequently causing issues for the devs as well as implementers
of the plugins.

Just for the record, I am not just complaining, I am also putting my hand up for that documentation
if I can help.

--
Tommy-Carlos Williams
tommy@devgeeks.org