From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Work Items for 1.5.0 - unified JS
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:21:12 GMT
The JS code base is pretty much there. Works on Android. Works almost completely on BB + PlayBook.
I'll need help to get it working on iOS + the other platforms. It's here: http://github.com/callback/callback-js

If there is enough interest, I am down for setting up a public Connect session where I can
go over the implementations Gord Tanner and I have been working on so people can get a feel
for how this stuff is laid out.

Some general notes about changes that we will need for all native implementations:

 *   Change all of the JavaScript references in the native implementations. No more global
references in native. No more random "_cast" global methods that convert native return values
into JS objects or whatnot - the JS implementation should be doing this anyways.
 *   Make all plugin service names consistent
 *   Make all plugin action names consistent
 *   Normalize file:/// URIs across platforms for the File API. I.e. iOS uses file:///localhost/,
BB uses just file:///, android uses something else, etc.
 *   Figure out (i.e. axe) what to do with platform-specific APIs (Android's Crypto, iOS SMS+Telephony)
 *   Normalize error objects returned from native across all platforms
 *

Platform-specific notes:

 *   Android, I have a unified-js branch up on my fork that we just need to merge in: https://github.com/filmaj/incubator-cordova-android/tree/unified-js
 *   BlackBerry, I have the same thing going on but it is at about 80%: https://github.com/filmaj/incubator-cordova-blackberry-webworks/tree/unified-js
 *   For all other platforms, I'd love to do some hack sessions with the platform owner(s)
to go over what is required. Looking for volunteers :)

Other things I'd like to get into the cordova-js project before 1.5:

 *   move all unit-testy stuff from mobile-spec into the cordova-js unit tests
 *   Once we have cordova-js working on platforms (the big 3? BB Android iOS?), we'll need
to once-over the API docs again as some stuff in there will no longer be relevant (I.e. Platform-specific
quirks)

I'm looking to get started on this right away. The sooner I can get help from platform maintainers
in integrating cordova-js into the project the better.