From Andrew Lunny <alu...@gmail.com>
Subject Cordova command
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 00:07:07 GMT
Hi all,

Pat raised the issue/goal of a Cordova binary/command we may want to work
on in the near future (probably post 1.5.0, which looks to be a disruptive
release).

Some purposes of this single command:
- everything the bin directories for Android and iOS do (plus equivalents
for all platforms)
- everything the pluginstall script does and will do

Some outstanding questions:
- is this for developers of Cordova, developers using Cordova, or both?
- can/should it be used for custom builds of the native Cordova library?

One goal, based on out past experience with the `droidgap` Ruby script in
particular, should be to minimize external dependencies. I think most of us
are comfortable writing Node.js programs, and Node runs everywhere we want
to run, so I would expect this will be a Node program. For maximum usage,
we should minimize binary Node-add-on dependencies, particularly if they
depend on external libs in the compilation environment (I'm thinking of
libxmljs in particular).

I would like the program to be compiled into a single binary with Node and
NPM, so we can distribute it ourselves without worrying about the
end-user's environment. This is feasible now, but I believe there is
planned work in Node to turn it from feasible to easy.

If this will be for building Cordova (the library) as well, we should be
aware of the docs repo, which currently depends on perl, Ruby, and some
libraries for each of those platforms that have to be installed separately.
Not sure at this stage the best way to move forward on that front.

Hoping to hear what others think,
Andrew