From Drew Walters <deedu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache License swap for BlackBerry
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 19:36:52 GMT
Responding to both Jukka's and Ken's responses:

>> - There are a couple of instances in the code (from Playbook
>> implementation) for a copyright of RIM.  Has RIM agreed to removal
>> of their copyright or does that need to be maintained in the source?

> Sounds like a case of http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party

Yes, although in this case, several of the files were pre-existing in
PhoneGap.  RIM copyright was added to existing files which were modified
during work done to add Playbook support.  All new files submitted and
modified existing files have the same source license header (bsd/mit) used
in the rest of the source.

>> - The StringUtils.java [1] file was apparently based on a BlackBerry
>> knowledge base article [2] as noted in the file header.  Its not clear to
>> me whether I need to include information in the LICENSE or NOTICE file
for
>> this.

> Do we know the license of that code? If not, it would be good to
> clarify whether it's OK for us to redistribute it. Alternatively I'm
> sure there are plenty of other sources of similar functionality.

Ken Wallis from RIM is checking on that.

> Did you already push these changes to the repository on git-wip-us?

Nope, not yet, in my local sandbox right now.

> Drew, are the Nitobi and IBM entries being moved to a NOTICE file, or
> removed completely?

Completely removed for a clean handoff of code to the Apache foundation.