From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributions policy for those with no ICLA
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:25:12 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
> [ASIDE many people in the ASF argue that the contribution under the
> Apache License is sufficient, this is not the forum for this
> discussion, current policy is that an ICLA is required - the forum to
> seek policy change is legal-discuss@a.o]

Citation needed.

The current policy as described in [1] explicitly does *not* require
an ICLA for all contributions. The relevant part is:

    "The ASF desires that all contributors of ideas, code, or documentation
    to the Apache projects complete, sign, and submit (via postal mail, fax
    or email) an Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA) [PDF form].
    The purpose of this agreement is to clearly define the terms under which
    intellectual property has been contributed to the ASF and thereby allow
    us to defend the project should there be a legal dispute regarding the
    software at some future time. A signed CLA is required to be on file
    before an individual is given commit rights to an ASF project."

Note the use of "desires" instead of "requires" here. A CLA is only
"required" before direct commit access can be given.

PS. Sorry that we're giving mixed signals as mentors here. When
something like that happens, the best solution is to look up the
authoritative text on www.apache.org.

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

BR,

Jukka Zitting