From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributions policy for those with no ICLA
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:33:43 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>> If not a vote, what (or who) would decide who gets commit access?
>
> Upon review of a few pull requests that would be successfully merged a
> committer (usually the guy doing said merge) would add the new person
> as a committer to save themselves the trouble in the future. Its is a
> different philosophy; we tend to believe that folks are here to the
> right thing first. This isn't a trivial assumption; I believe it
> creates a community of mutual trust, respect, and happens to also save
> on the costs of policing and associated bureaucracy.

What you're describing is pretty much the Apache Way. If someone makes
good contributions, he or she should be made a committer. The rest is
just mechanics.

If the standard process of voting people in is hindering you from
following that philosophy, then we need to streamline the process, not
work around it by gating commits through existing committers.

BR,

Jukka Zitting