From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tagging 1.5rc friday
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:00:49 GMT
Also, if there's a defect that's blocking a release put it up on JIRA as a
blocker! I have no idea what's broken if it's not on JIRA. I go through the
same checks that Fil does, except that I would also like to see more native
additions added to this once we get the embeddable webview added. (Unit
Testing Cordova isn't really possible without this IMO, and we need this
for things such as making sure history works).

Honestly, I don't like the fact that there's more failures on Android 4.0.2
than there are on Android 2.3.6 but the number is so negligent that I don't
think it should hold up a release.  However, I'm easily convinced when
presented with a well written bug report.

Joe

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Let's hash that out in this thread, and document over at
> http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/RunningTests
>
> Here's my version, please add anything that you think I'm missing. For me
> it's as simple as:
>
> 1. Run the qunit tests in mobile-spec. This is a baseline. I have never
> seen it pass 100% but below 50 tests failing (less than 10%) seems to be
> what the average across platforms is. Our goal is to reduce this as much
> as possible.
> 2. Run the "manual" tests in mobile-spec. These are the individual
> links/pages showing up when you run mobile-spec.
>
> I would like to see the manual tests refined a bit more to have expected
> behaviour mapped out more obviously. Something like:
>  - you run the accelerometer manual tests.
>  - these tests ask you to lie the device flat on a table and hit a
> button. We assert that the various x/y/z accel values line up to what we
> expect.
>  - do the same for various other device positions.
>  - rinse and repeat for all of our APIs.
>
> I had Becky express concerns that mobile-spec is not a complete test suite
> and "needs improvement." Please, if you feel this is the case, it is
> *extremely* important to commit patches to the test suite! It is our only
> tool that allows us to say with confidence "we are ok to release."
>
> Moving forward, with cordova-js lined up as dropping in the next few
> releases, as well as the embeddable webview + rename changes coming into
> the native side on all of our platform implementations, the test suite
> needs to be our go-to method for determining what works and what doesn't.
> If you feel it is lacking: patch it.
>
> Let's get this process nailed down in our wiki and in this thread so our
> next release goes smoother.
>
> On 12-02-27 1:35 PM, "Simon MacDonald" <simon.macdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Well running mobile spec is only part of the regression I usually do.
> >Typically I'll run the autotests with the previous version then again with
> >the latest version and find the differences. By doing that this release I
> >was able to fix the issue with the DirectoryReader on Android. Then I'll
> >run through the manual tests in mobile spec to make sure that things are
> >still working. Then I start going through the examples on
> >docs.phonegap.combecause it is really embarrassing when the sample
> >code in our docs doesn't
> >run.
> >
> >I've been doing this for a number of releases now and it helps me get a
> >feel for how stable we are. With all the moving parts for 1.5 I don't feel
> >like we are as stable as 1.4 and don't think we should tag tomorrow as
> >there are some more things I want to look at.
> >
> >Simon Mac Donald
> >http://hi.im/simonmacdonald
> >

> >On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What regression process are you using?  I've personally have never seen
> >> mobile-spec pass on Android, so I'm curious as to what the criteria is.

into the
> >>release
> >>in.

should have used