incubator-callback-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Joe Bowser <>
Subject Re: Concerns about releasing 1.5
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:14:35 GMT

I thought we were only going forward with Android on this one and that the
Unified JS for the other platforms was going to happen on 1.6.


On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Becky Gibson <>wrote:

> I have serious concerns about releasing 1.5 with only partial
> implementation of the unified JS code.   This release will be nearly
> unusable for people who develop for more than one platform.  First,  we are
> breaking their existing code will all of the renaming.   I understand that
> is inevitable.  People will grumble but it had do be done in order to move
> forward within Apache.
> But, in addition to the rename we are modifying the apis on SOME platforms.
>  API changes can be subtle and painful to fix.  Do we have them all well
> documented?  In addition to finding and making the api changes, folks who
> develop for more than one platform will have to have divergent code for the
> different platforms.  Only to have to change it again, for 1.6 when the
> unified JS is completed.   That doesn't seem right and a cruel thing to do
> to our loyal community.   Why not wait until the unified JS is complete and
> at least keep all of the changes within one release?   What is the rush to
> get out a 1.5? Is there any real harm in putting it off? Are the bug fixes
> that MUST get in?   Just my humble opinion that we should hold off on 1.5
> until the unified JS is more fully baked.  As an FYI - iOS is going to take
> me awhile (re: "API changes can be subtle and painful to fix").
> -becky

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message