incubator-callback-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Bryce Curtis <curtis.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Concerns about releasing 1.5
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:30:34 GMT
I'm assuming that the APIs exposed to the users have remained the same and
are consisted between Android unified JS and iOS, BB, etc.  That implies
the docs are still in sync.  If this is not the case, then I would agree
that there's a problem.  Isn't that what mobile-spec tests?  Or do we not
have adequate coverage?

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> yeah, I figured we'd just vendor it in on the platforms where its complete?
>
>
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey
> >
> > I thought we were only going forward with Android on this one and that
> the
> > Unified JS for the other platforms was going to happen on 1.6.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Becky Gibson <gibson.becky@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I have serious concerns about releasing 1.5 with only partial
> >> implementation of the unified JS code.   This release will be nearly
> >> unusable for people who develop for more than one platform.  First,  we
> are
> >> breaking their existing code will all of the renaming.   I understand
> that
> >> is inevitable.  People will grumble but it had do be done in order to
> move
> >> forward within Apache.
> >>
> >> But, in addition to the rename we are modifying the apis on SOME
> platforms.
> >>  API changes can be subtle and painful to fix.  Do we have them all well
> >> documented?  In addition to finding and making the api changes, folks
> who
> >> develop for more than one platform will have to have divergent code for
> the
> >> different platforms.  Only to have to change it again, for 1.6 when the
> >> unified JS is completed.   That doesn't seem right and a cruel thing to
> do
> >> to our loyal community.   Why not wait until the unified JS is complete
> and
> >> at least keep all of the changes within one release?   What is the rush
> to
> >> get out a 1.5? Is there any real harm in putting it off? Are the bug
> fixes
> >> that MUST get in?   Just my humble opinion that we should hold off on
> 1.5
> >> until the unified JS is more fully baked.  As an FYI - iOS is going to
> take
> >> me awhile (re: "API changes can be subtle and painful to fix").
> >>
> >> -becky
> >>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message