From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Contributions policy for those with no ICLA
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:29:58 GMT
On 16 February 2012 11:25, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
>> [ASIDE many people in the ASF argue that the contribution under the
>> Apache License is sufficient, this is not the forum for this
>> discussion, current policy is that an ICLA is required - the forum to
>> seek policy change is legal-discuss@a.o]

Judicious clipping has removed the context of this statement, my
mail included:

" I am only referring to contributions that contain significant IP or
are not made available through some public repository."

> The current policy as described in [1] explicitly does *not* require
> an ICLA for all contributions. The relevant part is:
>
>    "The ASF desires that all contributors of ideas, code, or documentation
>    to the Apache projects complete, sign, and submit (via postal mail, fax
>    or email) an Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA) [PDF form].
>    The purpose of this agreement is to clearly define the terms under which
>    intellectual property has been contributed to the ASF and thereby allow
>    us to defend the project should there be a legal dispute regarding the
>    software at some future time. A signed CLA is required to be on file
>    before an individual is given commit rights to an ASF project."

So the first half of my sentence above is covered, what about the second half?

" are not made available through some public repository."

(note again I also said "If nobody is contributing code that is not
coming in through an active contribution process there is nothing to
worry about and I'm just
blowing hot air.")

Ross