From Joe Developer <joe.d.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quick Start Environment for PhoneGap dev teams
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:21:35 GMT
On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> So, I think while the intentions here are good the execution is
> somewhat troubling as it looks *really* spammy. (Especially so w/ the
> hotlinking to our existing assets and resources.)

I think that the response here rests on a misconception of the goals, the
workspace that I linked is a 'template workspace' that is meant to be near
at hand for developers joining a project - it is not intended to be a
substitute or a competitor to the existing Cordova docs, but rather offer
concise points of entry to them, as well as more 'integration specific'
documentation, which, as you point out, might fall outside the tight focus
of the Cordova docs.

I am somewhat at a loss at the use of the term 'hotlinking', but I would
certainly welcome suggestions as to how it might be made to not invoke the
perception of being 'spammy'.

> If you'd like to help to improve our documentation: there's a repo for
> that.[1]

I would love to, once I reach the point where I have something to offer in
that area, again, these are not meant to be mutually exclusive endeavors.

> I'd like to see more example usages but we are, very deliberately, not
> going to endorse any javascript frameworks. Thats a whole different
> problem space than the Apache Cordova problem space.[2]

My intent was more to reach members of the ML than the project itself. I
would imagine that a sizable number of contributors to Cordova are
sponsored by organizations that field offerings in the wider Cordova
ecosphere. It would surprise me if they wouldn't see it as worthwhile to be
able to help end-developers be able to get going with their projects
quickly and with the best possible underpinnings for success.

Just to recap:
http://meet.assembla.com/spaces/phonegap-quickstart/wiki is to Project
Process Environments as 'git clone' is to code repositories. In this day
and age, getting the code is but a small step on the path of successful
project development, if the interest is to help more developers get started
with evaluating, adopting and succeeding in successful leveraging of
Cordova then I feel that I am offering a proposition that helps improve
outcomes for a broad population of developers.