From Shazron <>
Subject Re: Question about the roadmap for deprecations in iOS (plugin related)
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:05:03 GMT
I've written and checked in the Plugin Upgrade Guide (you might have
to wait until the Github mirror updates):

(raw here;a=blob_plain;f=guides/;hb=HEAD

Tommy - let me know your feedback, or even send a pull request to
improve it. We can continue the discussion in the issue as well:

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Shazron <> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Shazron <> wrote:
>> Thanks Tommy,
>> On iOS - I'm afraid with all the renaming to Cordova - it will break
>> again with 1.5. I'll add an issue for a Plugin Upgrade Guide, with an
>> existing plugin (ChildBrowser is a good candidate) as an example. With
>> 1.5 all the deprecations you see in 1.4 are removed.
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Tommy Williams <> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I was whipping up a plugin a couple days ago for iOS that needed to push a modal
view controller much like ChildBrowser does:
>>> presentModalViewController:animated:
>>> I looked at how ChildBrowser managed this from within a plugin and tried implementing
it in my plugin, but got a great many warnings about deprecations. I looked into it and these
are the deprecations that were part of the changes made to support using PhoneGap/Cordova
as a component in 1.4.x. I imagine the widely used ChildBrowser will also be affected.
>>> the ticket at mentions upgrade docs
are planned, but they seemed to be more about upgrading projects ("create a new project",
yadda yadda) more so than upgrading from a plugin standpoint.
>>> tl;dr version:
>>> Is there a plan for a guide on upgrading plugins that rely on PhoneGapViewController
or [super appController] etc?
>>> To be honest, I would be just as happy with someone updating ChildBrowser so
I can mooch off that work, but it would be nice for plugin devs to have a bit more documentation.
Plugins break with new releases quite frequently causing issues for the devs as well as implementers
of the plugins.
>>> Just for the record, I am not just complaining, I am also putting my hand up
for that documentation if I can help.
>>> --
>>> Tommy-Carlos Williams

View raw message