From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about the roadmap for deprecations in iOS (plugin related)
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:42:57 GMT
Thanks Tommy,
On iOS - I'm afraid with all the renaming to Cordova - it will break
again with 1.5. I'll add an issue for a Plugin Upgrade Guide, with an
existing plugin (ChildBrowser is a good candidate) as an example. With
1.5 all the deprecations you see in 1.4 are removed.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Tommy Williams <tommy@devgeeks.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was whipping up a plugin a couple days ago for iOS that needed to push a modal view
controller much like ChildBrowser does:

> presentModalViewController:animated:
>
> I looked at how ChildBrowser managed this from within a plugin and tried implementing
it in my plugin, but got a great many warnings about deprecations. I looked into it and these
are the deprecations that were part of the changes made to support using PhoneGap/Cordova
as a component in 1.4.x. I imagine the widely used ChildBrowser will also be affected.

> the ticket at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-166 mentions upgrade docs are
planned, but they seemed to be more about upgrading projects ("create a new project", yadda
yadda) more so than upgrading from a plugin standpoint.

> tl;dr version:
>
> Is there a plan for a guide on upgrading plugins that rely on PhoneGapViewController
or [super appController] etc?

> To be honest, I would be just as happy with someone updating ChildBrowser so I can mooch
off that work, but it would be nice for plugin devs to have a bit more documentation. Plugins
break with new releases quite frequently causing issues for the devs as well as implementers
of the plugins.