incubator-callback-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Becky Gibson <gibson.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Concerns about releasing 1.5
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:12:15 GMT
I have serious concerns about releasing 1.5 with only partial
implementation of the unified JS code.   This release will be nearly
unusable for people who develop for more than one platform.  First,  we are
breaking their existing code will all of the renaming.   I understand that
is inevitable.  People will grumble but it had do be done in order to move
forward within Apache.

But, in addition to the rename we are modifying the apis on SOME platforms.
 API changes can be subtle and painful to fix.  Do we have them all well
documented?  In addition to finding and making the api changes, folks who
develop for more than one platform will have to have divergent code for the
different platforms.  Only to have to change it again, for 1.6 when the
unified JS is completed.   That doesn't seem right and a cruel thing to do
to our loyal community.   Why not wait until the unified JS is complete and
at least keep all of the changes within one release?   What is the rush to
get out a 1.5? Is there any real harm in putting it off? Are the bug fixes
that MUST get in?   Just my humble opinion that we should hold off on 1.5
until the unified JS is more fully baked.  As an FYI - iOS is going to take
me awhile (re: "API changes can be subtle and painful to fix").

-becky

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message