incubator-callback-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: Concerns about releasing 1.5
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:23:35 GMT
yeah, I figured we'd just vendor it in on the platforms where its complete?



On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey
>
> I thought we were only going forward with Android on this one and that the
> Unified JS for the other platforms was going to happen on 1.6.
>
> Joe
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Becky Gibson <gibson.becky@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I have serious concerns about releasing 1.5 with only partial
>> implementation of the unified JS code.   This release will be nearly
>> unusable for people who develop for more than one platform.  First,  we are
>> breaking their existing code will all of the renaming.   I understand that
>> is inevitable.  People will grumble but it had do be done in order to move
>> forward within Apache.
>>
>> But, in addition to the rename we are modifying the apis on SOME platforms.
>>  API changes can be subtle and painful to fix.  Do we have them all well
>> documented?  In addition to finding and making the api changes, folks who
>> develop for more than one platform will have to have divergent code for the
>> different platforms.  Only to have to change it again, for 1.6 when the
>> unified JS is completed.   That doesn't seem right and a cruel thing to do
>> to our loyal community.   Why not wait until the unified JS is complete and
>> at least keep all of the changes within one release?   What is the rush to
>> get out a 1.5? Is there any real harm in putting it off? Are the bug fixes
>> that MUST get in?   Just my humble opinion that we should hold off on 1.5
>> until the unified JS is more fully baked.  As an FYI - iOS is going to take
>> me awhile (re: "API changes can be subtle and painful to fix").
>>
>> -becky
>>

Mime
View raw message