From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: Concerns about releasing 1.5
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2012 02:23:24 GMT
> Are odd-numbered point releases advertised as unstable? Should they be?

this is how nodejs and other unix-y projects do things

> What is the downside to cutting a release with only congruent improvements
> and bug-fixes?

we've made no commitment on the plugin api (its never been official)
so I don't feel we're breaking any promises

> Personally I am also curious about why the changes are considered for
> general(?) release in a staggered fashion.

you can get a sense of the roadmap here
http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/RoadmapProjects

the general consensus is that this year we remove everything from
phonegap api wise, plugin all the things, and then have officially
supported plugins in addition to community ones. this work is a part
of that effort. not pretty, but worthwhile in the long run.

with conditional compilation of plugins anyone can compose a version
of cordova suited to their project goals. plus, things should be
lighter and more performant, in addition to having a better security
story.

(though w/ an avg hello world weighing in at 20kb and a bridge that
gets 200 operations/second I've not seen a convincing argument
otherwise)