From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Work Items for 1.5.0 - unified JS
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 17:48:26 GMT
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:07, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> Three parts to this email. First:
>
> >[ Whole bunch of discussion]
> >
> >Perhaps it's time to define "AMD-lite" runtime somewhere?
>
> ^^ Pretty much.
>
> In my mind the simplest way to distill the discussion down is: do we want
> to employ almond or some other AMD+CJS-compliant loaders, and make it
> obvious to users that this comes with cordova, or roll our amdlite or smd
> or whatever you want to call it, a cut-down version tailored for our
> needs, and hide the fact we use it (closure that stuff up)?

If we closure it up, we don't need to say anything about AMD/AMD-lite/SMD.
 If we have a version that we don't closure up, we do neede to talk about
the AMD-ish API.  Easiest path is to closure it up, I guess.  I might press
for an option on the build script, which we wouldn't use for the production
cordova.js, to allow for other options:

- don't closure it up
- don't closure it up, and don't prepend our AMD-ish runtime, allowing
someone else to prepend theirs (eg, require.js, Dojo, etc)

> Second:
>
> One thing Mike and I chatted about today was the various platform
> definition files ... It used a
> JSON convention that currently is something like:
>
> [[icky crap elided]]
>
> ... One convention that could be employed is
> having a string value instead of an object if it's a module path alone (no
> children). Mike took it a different route and was thinking of something
> string-based like:
>
> {
>  "window.PhoneGap":"lib/phonegap",
>  "window.PhoneGap.exec":"lib/phonegap/exec"
> }

This was the sort of thing I was thinking about.  Rather than object
structures, we can use strings with path structures ("." or "/" or whatever
delimited).

> Third:
>
> I really want to ship cordova-js for 1.5. There is a lot that can be
> improved, but I'm hoping that improvements can be slowly introduced over
> the next few releases. I am hoping that none of the issues that you
> brought up, Pat, are "show-stoppers".

+1 on shipping a "built from modules" cordova.js for 1.5.  Anyway we can do
that.  It's a step in the right direction.  Some implementation choices
imply (in my mind) show-stoppers, like shipping almond 0.3 - so we don't
use those implementation choices.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org