From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributions policy for those with no ICLA
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:35:06 GMT
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 06:25, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > [ASIDE many people in the ASF argue that the contribution under the
> > Apache License is sufficient, this is not the forum for this
> > discussion, current policy is that an ICLA is required - the forum to
> > seek policy change is legal-discuss@a.o]
>
> Citation needed.

Ross also referenced, but did not cite "one mail back in December indicated
that significant IP would be involved".  Please supply a link to the email
in the mail archives, assuming it was on one of our lists (that seemed to
be implied).

> The current policy as described in [1] explicitly does *not* require
> an ICLA for all contributions. ...

So, count me as confused by Ross's note, as my understanding of the
situation is the same as Jukka's.

I'm happy to see that there are different opinions here, since the whole
3rd party code usage thing is ... confusing.  For instance, the "legal faq"
- http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html - that I've read many times now,
does not refer to "CLA" or "ICLA" at all.  Seems like it should, especially
if Ross is right.  Or better yet, a much clearer set of guidelines for
this, in one place, with both theoretic and actual examples from existing
projects.  Maybe I just haven't run into that page on the site yet (or did
but forgot about it).

If me and Jukka are wrong, and Ross is right, then I've broken the rules by
including a slew of npm modules, and the WebKit Web Inspector source, in
weinre's git repo at Apache.  The top-level LICENSE file for weinre <1>
(master branch) lists all the 3rd party code that weinre pulls
(recursively).

It's certainly possible for me to not store these in git.  Up until
yesterday, no weinre git repo had 3rd party code in it.  One of the changes
I made, at the same time I ported weinre from Java to node.js, was to store
all the 3rd party code it uses in the repo, so it didn't need to be pulled
at build time - more a safety feature than anything.  That change got
committed yesterday afternoon.

A weinre "build", however, would at least need to include the WebKit Web
Inspector source that I pull from WebKit, which recursively pre-reqs (but
includes) Uglify.js.  The other bits are all npm modules which can be
installed - quite easily - at "install" time.  That's how the weinre build
worked up until yesterday.  Now it doesn't download any pre-reqs - they're
all in the repo.

I can go into much, MUCH more gory detail and analysis of the various
possibilities of SCMing, building, installing and running weinre - wrt: 3rd
party code - if I have to.  But I won't bore folks with the details just
yet.

Goin' to pop some popcorn - I'll be right back.  :-)

<1>
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cordova-weinre.git;a=blob;f=LICENSE;hb=HEAD

--
Patrick Mueller