From Marcos Caceres <cord...@marcosc.com>
Subject Re: [config.xml] Splash screen spec and other biz
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:17:23 GMT
Hi,

On Friday, 17 February 2012 at 16:38, Michael Brooks wrote:

> The W3C Native Web Apps community group has been great at accepting
> Cordova's feedback on the Widget Configuration and Packing spec. So this is
> a good opportunity for us to continue testing and helping to spec out the
> splash screen.
>
> Another implementation to look at is BlackBerry's `loadingScreen` element
> [1]. Personally, I like how can specify a background color to the loading
> screen. Your image is then centered on the screen, regardless of its size.
> This is a great way to side-step the fragmentation of screen sizes and
> pixel density.

Might be nice to just support a style=" " attribute on the <splash> element. That avoids
defining new stylistic attributes and just lets devs use CSS (which is easier to earn and
to test in the browser before copying it into the config.xml … it's also much more extensible).

For example:

<splash style="background-color: black;
                       width: 50%;
                       height: 50%;
                       left: 25%;
                       top: 25%;
                       " src="images/spalsh.png" />

Initially, the supported CSS rules could be quite small… but with a bit of time, it could
be expanded to support gradients, or animations etc.

We could even mint a new set of rules just for splash screens, like "splash-position: left
top;" or "splash-position: center center;".