From Filip Maj <>
Subject Re: Is an API we want to support?
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:29:23 GMT
Bryce suggested leaving window.close alone due to how some frameworks
(*COUGH* jQuery) hoist into the history and whatnot. Not sure this is a
real issue - Bryce can you provide an example where piggybacking off of
window.close would mess stuff up? Plus, I don't want random web frameworks
dictating how we build our APIs. That's not how this works...

Also I like the idea of reviewing what we have in app right now. Currently
we have, for stuff that is common across BB and Android:

- exitApp
- clearCache
- clearHistory
- backHistory
- event stuff (pause/resume/hardware buttons). Don't think this is
applicable though...

Android only:

- loadUrl
- cancelLoadUrl
- overrideBackButton

I think if we can stay away from the history api extensions we're all
gonna be better off. Worst case if history is not implemented properly on
some platforms, again, I would consider monkeypatching the `history`
methods with some native stubs to fill in an API that web devs expect to
"just work."

LoadURL/CancelLoadURL - again, my opinion about these is the same as
history. Using "web" approaches such as setting `window.location` and
using `` (if you wanted to open in the stock browser or a new
phonegap window instance, for example) are better, more intuitive

exitApp -> window.close

clearCache is interesting. The BB WebWorks container *can* do some
caching, so WebWorks actually provides an API to clear the cache.
Presumably Android has some native equivalent for this. This is probably
the one method in `` that is somewhat useful and has no web

My $0.02.

On 12-01-30 7:02 PM, "Brian LeRoux" <> wrote:

>I like window.close Fil --- exactly how we should look at PhoneGap
>APIs. If its not a spec, or something we can polyfil, then it should
>be a plugin.
>Think this is something we need to document in the wiki?
>On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Filip Maj <> wrote:
>> Apparently discussion triggered by a JIRA issue filed, and now further
>>discussion is happening in that thread:
>> Chime in if you like :)

View raw message