From Michael Brooks <mich...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Subject Re: 1.4 release phone call
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:02:02 GMT
Here are the meeting notes (https://gist.github.com/1649009).

# PhoneGap 1.4 Release Meeting

## Attendance

## Wiki

- Style guide
- Roadmap
    - Brian would like everyone to review it
    - Voice interest if you want to work on a certain feature

## Cordova Website

- Patrick kicked it off
- Yohei is also working on it
    - Dividing his time between phonegap.com and Cordova

### Cordova

- Open source project
- Contributor focused
- Contribution process

### PhoneGap

- User space
- App focus

## Release Script

- Steve is working on it
    - Written in node.js
    - Shells out to each platform build script
    - Steve and Brian will be posting details on it onto the mailing-list
today
- Goal is to cut Apache releases with this script
- Patrick requires node.js for Weinre.
    - He is working with Apache to get node.js on their servers for
automated builds

## Upcoming Apache Release

- 1.4 is too early
- Bryce feels like 1.5 is a do-able timeframe for the first Apache release

## 1.4 Release

- January 31, 2012 (Tentative)
- Not enough time for an Apache release

## 1.5 Release

- Target for Apache release
- Renaming all of the code

## PhoneGap-JS

- Fil could use some more resources to help with other platforms
    - Jesse for WP7?
    - Shazron for iOS?
        - Package namespaces is one of the largest differences between iOS
and the other platforms
        - iOS JavaScript also have a couple "global caste" functions for
native-to-javascript communication
            - These will need to be removed or wrapped into the ios-utils
function
            - The goal would be to avoid dropping these functions into the
global namespace
    - Anis for Bada?
- In the next week or two, Fil and Gord will do a connect session to
explain the code
    - Schedule a time on the mailing-list

## Android WebView Change Bug

- Joe, Fil, and Anis
- In Android 3/4, SDK switched from WebKit to Chrome
    - There is a bug where you cannot open Android assets (www/)
        - The fullpath is referenced in the native code, instead of a
relative URL
    - Joe has a workaround using the Android "jail"
    - The side-effect is that all assets in "assets/www" would need to be
moved into the "jail" on first run (at run-time)
    - A downfall is that run-time storage is doubled (original assets and
jailed assets)
    - From the PhoneGap developer perspective, there is no change
- The work is currently in a branch on the Android source
- Bryce, Simon, Joe, Fil, and Anis should take this to the mailing list and
schedule a Connect call for code-review
    - Based on the code-review, this feature will hit release 1.4 or 1.5

## Getting Start Guides

- Try to get these into the docs repository for 1.4

## White-List

- Has been a troublesome topic on Google Groups
- Anis patched an Android bug for "*"
    - He proposed a consistent implementation across all platforms
    - Potentially follow the Opera standard for white-listing
- White-listing should be documented on the docs site (Getting Started
section)

## Battery API

- Simon just added tests to mobile-spec for the draft of the newest APIs
- Fil: Are we switching to this spec?
- Simon: Keep the existing spec, but begin implementing the new draft. Tell
people that the existing spec will be gradually moving away.
- Fil: Would like to see the updated Battery spec for 1.5 (not 1.4)
- Debate: should we include it in Plugins XML by default?
    - Potential performance issues if we include it by default
    - At the moment, there is no performance issue if you do not subscribe
to the event
    - However, the new Battery Spec would run from the beginning
    - This is leading into a "Plugins Definition" discussion
        - Take this onto the mailing-list

## Mobile-Spec

- Brian: Should we move this into cordova-js?
- Fil: No, they are difficult to use as automated unit tests. We can move
certain parts into the unit tests, but we should keep mobile-spec on its
own.

## Git Repository Tagging

- Steve: Some of the repositories in github.com/apache/* are missing tags
- Bryce: Seconded. He has also noticed too
- EVERYONE - please push all of the tags
    - `git push --tags origin`
    - where "origin" is the Apache GitHub and Apache Git Infra

## Documentation

- For each platform, we need to document how Plugins XML works
- For each platform, we need to document how to create a plugin
- For each platform, we need to document how to use a plugin

## Fixing Apache Repository Naming

- At 1.5 we will fix the naming
    - cordova-blackberry-webworks => cordova-blackberry
    - cordova-iphone => cordova-ios