From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE file for iOS
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:16:25 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Becky Gibson <gibson.becky@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a few questions about the NOTICE file.   The doc indicates that I should
> include any removed copyrights from files that are now checked in with the
> Apache notice.

Note that the suggestion of removing such extra copyrights falls under
the "Code Developed at the ASF" section [1]. This includes code
contributed with a software grant, which covers most of the code
developed by the PhoneGap project but not third party files that
PhoneGap included from external sources.

The following "Third-Party Works" section [2] describes how to handle
such files. Basically the license headers of such files should not be
modified. Additionally the relevant license terms from such license
headers should be included in the top-level LICENSE file [3], and any
required notices (that are pretty rare) [4] need to be placed in the
NOTICE file.

> Here is a example of what I put into NOTICE for one of the files that did not
> have the "standard", previous license blurb.
> [...]
> Basically, I took the existing header/license from the Notification.* files and
> put it into the NOTICE file.  Is this correct?

It's OK to include the notes in the NOTICE file but IIRC not
necessary. I'd rather *not* include them in the NOTICE file as doing
so puts extra burden to downstream users (see section 4 of ALv2 [5]).
Instead it's good to copy the relevant licenses entirely (including
the copyright attributions) to the LICENSE file.

> I have a bit more concerns with Reachability.* as they have long Apple copyrights

Those license headers should also go to LICENSE. However, it would be
best first to run the license through the Apache legal team as
described in [6]. I don't recall this license being reviewed for
compatibility with the Apache license [7].

> And for JSON/JSONKit.* I just replaced the existing license since it was already
> the Apache text and did not make an entry in the NOTICE file:

Here too it would be better to leave the original header intact and
mention the JSONKit component in the LICENSE file.

I hope this and the pointers below help. Please ask for more details
or background where needed.

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
[2]  http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party
[3] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distributing-code-under-several-licenses