From Jukka Zitting <>
Subject Re: IRC - name change and logging
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:50:35 GMT

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Patrick Mueller <> wrote:
> I'd also like to see the IRC logged, if anyone knows the foo for this.  But
> please read this [1].  It's further commentary on this blog post [2].

As noted in the discussion, publishing the fact that a channel is
being logged is common courtesy and according to freenode guidelines.

No formal vote on this is needed at least by Apache policy. Whoever
sets up the channel gets to choose how and where it should work. It's
a good idea to solicit feedback from the community (like you're doing
now), and presumably a (lazy) consensus will arise with which everyone
is more or less happy. A formal vote would only be needed if a
consensus for some reasons can't otherwise be reached.

And as mentioned elsewhere, all important project decisions should be
brought also to the mailing list so that people in other time zones
who can't participate in real-time discussion have a chance to chime
in. A good way to determine whether a particular topic is important
enough to be brought up on the list is asking whether you'd be
surprised if you found that a decision was made and you got told that
"it was discussed in that meeting you didn't attend". So details of a
particular bug probably don't count, but large topics like major
design changes do.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message