From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Podling rename, vote needed?
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 02:29:54 GMT
Hi,

[to: general@, cc: callback-dev@]

As discussed during the Callback proposal phase [1], the podling
community wasn't too certain about the "Callback" name and thus after
some discussion they recently voted [2] on adopting the new name
"Apache Cordova". The vote and its result was mentioned in the
December status report [3].

Now the question came up [4] about whether such a rename needs to be
explicitly approved by a vote of the IPCM. Personally I don't think
one is needed, as the possible need for such a rename was already
discussed on general@, and as the community vote itself and the
related name selection process was monitored by us mentors. A similar
process was followed when the Lucene Connector Framework podling
changed it's name to ManifoldCF [5].

Thus we never asked the podling to bring the matter to the IPMC for a
formal vote. However, if people feel that an IPMC vote on this is
needed, we'll happily comply.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/i6d2nrwdbqse3rqs
[2] http://markmail.org/message/kq3oa7wewl5ltvic
[3] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2011