From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE file for iOS
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:01:34 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Becky Gibson <gibson.becky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Uggh - one more thing.   These files are being submitted to the ASF as part
> of the PhoneGap project - thus the author is not directly submitting them.
> Is "PhoneGap" considered the author's agent?

That depends on the kind of agreement (written or implicit) under
which the code was contributed to PhoneGap. If you used copyright
assignment (i.e. contributors gave up their copyrights) or a wide
license grant (like in sections 2 and 3 of the Apache ICLA), then
AFAIUI you can treat the code as being part of the IP covered by
Nitobi's software grant and thus "submitted directly to the ASF".

> I have been reaching out to the authors via direct email (as not all are
> on the cordova-dev list) requesting permission to remove the copyright,
> is this sufficient to,  "provide written permission for the ASF to make
> such removal or relocation of the notices."?

Yes, that's sufficient.

Another alternative, in case not all authors can be contacted, is to
follow the example of Apache PDFBox where it was concluded that a
software grant from the key developers of a project was sufficient to
cover also smaller BSD-licensed contributions within the same codebase
[1]. As a result all such copyright headers were replaced with the
standard Apache license header, and a note about the original
contributions was included in the NOTICE and LICENSE files [2].

[1] http://markmail.org/message/zy6oweihmenqt6o4
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=696790

BR,

Jukka Zitting