From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: review weinre NOTICE file
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:55:39 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been prepping weinre for build/release-ability, and have a NOTICE file
> with 3rd party code that I use.  Could someone familiar with NOTICE files
> give me a quick review, before I push to Apache?

Looks good for a LICENSE file. The NOTICE file is for "required
third-party notices" that are pretty rare in practice [1].

So I'd just include the following default content in the NOTICE file:

<NOTICE>
Apache Cordova weinre
Copyright 2012 The Apache Software Foundation

</NOTICE>

... and put the parts about included software into the LICENSE file,
after the ALv2 text.

PS1. Other products from within the ASF don't need to be explicitly
mentioned in NOTICE or LICENSE (the default text covers everything
developed within the ASF), except possibly for parts where they
contain extra third party code that needs to be mentioned.

PS2. As long as coffee-script is not included in the source or binary
packages, there's no need to mention it either in NOTICE or LICENSE.

PS3. I notice the reference to UnixCrypt. Can you check whether it
falls within the requirements of the export control laws as described
in http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html?

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices

BR,

Jukka Zitting