From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cordova wiki at Apache
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 17:36:45 GMT
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:17, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2) Which wiki software do we want to use - moin-moin or confluence?
>
> AFAIUI the ASF infra team hasn't been too happy with Confluence. If
> Cordova wants to use Confluence, it would be great if we could find
> someone who'd volunteer to help maintain the Confluence instance at
> Apache.

I'm surprised to hear that each Confluence "instance" (instance per
project, roughly) would need maintenance at all.  I figured they all sat
under some kind of umbrella that managed everything.  ~shrug~ (and no need
to go into details; I can certainly BELIEVE this to be the case :-)

Personally, not sure I care too much re: confluence vs moin-moin, so maybe
on this basis alone, it would be better to go with moin-moin.

> > 3) Can we use the wiki as our "CMS" instead of the other CMS thing?
>
> So far it has been possible to use a Confluence export as a project
> web site, but due to the problems infra has had with that setup,
> support for that option will likely stop by the end of this year.
> There's no similar functionality in MoinMoin.

I read up on the "exportable" bits from Confluence, and it sounded "not
great" to me.  Would prefer we don't go down that path.

What I was really asking for was to just not have the "CMS" bits ("official
web site") at all, just (internally) redirect to the wiki.  Seems like this
is something most projects would actually want to do, so if no one's doing
it, there must be a good reason (beside's Ross's note re: commiter vs
non-committer access).

> One possible setup that many Apache projects use is to have the
> official web site contain only fairly static information (downloads,
> pointers to mailing lists and other resources, etc.) ...

Yes, absolutely.  I'd like to see the "official web site" content be
created once, and never changed, ever.  Just pointers to other lively,
relevant web sites.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org