From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject who wants to play with me on a commit approval process for weinre?
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:32:51 GMT
I'm doing some work on weinre this week, trying to get it a point of doing
an "official" Apache build.

I just committed the license change switcheroo, directly from a local
branch to the apache master.

I'm wondering if someone would like to experiment with me on getting an
approval process in place for commits.

The basic story would be this:

- when I have something to commit, push the branch the work is on to my
GitHub fork
- side note: that commit should be squashed for ease of review
- update the JIRA issue for the thing I'm fixing (every commit needs an
issue) with the location of the commit
- someone reviews the commit, adds comment to the JIRA issue that they
approve (or not) the commit
- person who did the work commits to master

I'd have used GitHub pull requests in the process, but they aren't working
at the moment, near as I can tell.  Specifically, no emails are sent to the
-dev list when someone issues a pull request against one of our GitHub
mirrors.

Some assumptions here:

- that we want a commit process that includes approval
- that we commit current work to master, instead of having a multi-level
dev branch scheme like this [1]

In terms of the specific commits I'll be doing, I don't assume that you
know much about weinre, because you probably don't.  Hopefully you'll learn
more though if play with me.  I'd like to just debug the process at this
point.  Longer term I'd like to see folks actually apply candidate commits,
do a build, make sure it passes tests, etc.  Or have a build process that
can do this.  Or at least have a 'build after commit' buildbot which would
test the commit after it's been committed (to whatever branch).

[1] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org