From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cordova wiki at Apache
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:31:02 GMT
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:17, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Patrick Mueller <pmuellr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm surprised to hear that each Confluence "instance" (instance per
> project, roughly) would need maintenance at all.  I figured they all sat
> under some kind of umbrella that managed everything.  ~shrug~ (and no need
> to go into details; I can certainly BELIEVE this to be the case :-)

There's a single, clustered, confluence instance with multiple spaces.
I believe the main problem is that Confluence is a memory hog. Running
even a small instance requires hundreds of megabytes of memory, now
powering all the Apache's projects that are using cwiki you need
pretty beefy machines to cope with the load. Infra has upgraded the
cwiki systems several times and at least what I've observed, it's been
working nicely for the last year.

> Personally, not sure I care too much re: confluence vs moin-moin, so maybe
> on this basis alone, it would be better to go with moin-moin.
>> > 3) Can we use the wiki as our "CMS" instead of the other CMS thing?
>> So far it has been possible to use a Confluence export as a project
>> web site, but due to the problems infra has had with that setup,
>> support for that option will likely stop by the end of this year.
>> There's no similar functionality in MoinMoin.
> I read up on the "exportable" bits from Confluence, and it sounded "not
> great" to me.  Would prefer we don't go down that path.
> What I was really asking for was to just not have the "CMS" bits ("official
> web site") at all, just (internally) redirect to the wiki.  Seems like this
> is something most projects would actually want to do, so if no one's doing
> it, there must be a good reason (beside's Ross's note re: commiter vs
> non-committer access).

First, ICLA (individual contributor license agreement) on file is
enough to gain edit access to cwiki (individual projects can set up
rights as they wish) - you don't have to be a committer to the
project. At least Tapestry and Shiro projects are exporting their
cwiki to the their official project website. Exporting the site is
fairly heavy operation (that's the other performance problem with
Confluence that infra is not happy about), but Confluence alone
couldn't carry the load for public read requests (plus Confluence
itself doesn't allow that much customizability in regards to style).
Exporting process is a bit cumbersome but otherwise the projects I
know of that are using cwiki are happy with the functionality that
Confluence offers over moin moin or Apache's own CMS system.

Kalle