From Quim Gil <>
Subject Re: [callback-qt] Qt 5, WebKit2 & Qt Quick
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:28:32 GMT
The main developers of the PhoneGap for Qt 4 project believe that the
work on Qt 5 should be simple. Let's see if I can explain why it's not
based on my own learnings - while the real WebKit and QtWebKit
maintainers explain their views on the project.

On 01/11/2012 10:51 PM, ext Viras wrote:
 > I'm not sure if there is really that much to do.

I wish you are right  :) but at least the WebKit developers at Nokia
believe that the change to Qt 5 is indeed significant.

WebKit2 is basically a new API. The WebKit(1) API is being left behind.

The API for QtWebKit(1) was based on QWidget, but QWidget is an optional
module in Qt 5 and it may well be that mobile platforms don't ship it at

Qt 4 has the convenient QtWebKit Bridge mechanism to connect WebKit/JS
with C++ native objects. But QtWebKit Bridge is really tied to Qt 4 and
is not making it as such to Qt 5.

 > That way porting to Qt5 most probably will be the work of a few
 > afternoons (after all, I re-wrote the whole Qt4 code in a few days as a
 > single person).

I don't know how many afternoons will it take to get the PhoneGap API
fully covered in Qt 5.

But I specially don't know how many extra afternoons will be needing to
get a release stable and with a good level of performance. It doesn't
seem to be a trivial task for the iOS, Android and Windows Phone ports,
so I'm not expecting this to be trivial for Qt 5 either.

View raw message