From Drew Walters <purd...@gmail.com>
Subject Playbook code merge discussion
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 15:49:46 GMT
I've been playing around with the latest callback-blackberry code
which has been merged to include playback support and I have run into
some things which are worth noting/discussing/fixing.  For reference
the code change is here:

https://github.com/callback/callback-blackberry/commit/19c0e686067e36a563815435f6ed69ee562dbf9d#template/project/www/config.xml

I've listed below some things which existing BlackBerry developers
will need to be made aware of in order to update their existing
projects to 1.3. I've also added notes prefixed with '*' which I feel
are defects or at least require further discussion.

framework/ext/src/library.xml:
    - PhoneGap feature is now "com.phonegap" instead of "phonegap".

javascript/capture.js:
    - This is a proper renaming of media.js.
        * Problem is media.js was not deleted so both capture.js and
media.js are included and are identical.

javascript/console.js:
    - console.log is now only defined if console is undefined.
Previously console.log was always defined.
        * I've been testing on OS 6 and console.log never gets defined
since console is defined.  This results in console.log not working.
I've had to use phonegap.Logger.log instead.

template/project/project.properties:
    - Properties previously defined in the file are now prefixed with
"blackberry".  New properties added for "playbook".
        * I'm confused by "blackberry.sim.password".  Description says
"If you leave this field blank, then you cannot deploy to simulator".
I believe this is misleading since the only usage I see for it in
blackberry.xml is to load the device (not simulator).

javascript/webWorksPluginManager.js:
    - Camera and Capture functionality is now handled by blackberry
javascript API instead of native plugins.
        * This is a step backwards as the blackberry javascript API
lacks some features implemented by the native plugins.  Just to name a
few: specifying image size for the Camera, and audio recording for
Capture.

template/project/build.xml:
    - Build has been split up into blackberry.xml and playbook.xml.
    - Building a phone app now requires "ant blackberry build" where
before it was "ant build".

template/project/www/config.xml:
    - PhoneGap feature is now "com.phonegap" instead of "phonegap".
    - New permissions blackberry.media.camera, blackberry.identity,
blackberry.ui.dialog, blackberry.system.
        * I'm confused why blackberry.identity and blackberry.system
were added since they already exist in the file.  I'm also not sure
what is requiring blackberry.ui.dialog.

template/project/www/plugins.xml:
    - "Device" is a new required plugin.