From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Callback CCLA questions
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:59:16 GMT
On Dec 15, 2011 3:12 PM, "Patrick Mueller" <pmuellr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 09:39, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com
>wrote:
>
> > Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.
> > On Dec 15, 2011 2:18 PM, "Ken Wallis" <kwallis@rim.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Ross.  I will follow this up with you offline and with the
> > appropriate people here.
> > >
> > > That said, what are the requirements on contributions from outside the
> > committers group?  That is currently where Gord and I fall.
> > >

> > For contributions that don't contain significant IP you would issue a
pull
> > request and a committer would integrate into the tree. However, if you
> > don't have permission to contribute its on your head to make that pull
> > request (which implies permission to use the code is given).
> >

> I assume the RIM folks intend on contributing significant IP they own to
> Apache (ie, code they have written).  They just need to work with their
> lawyers to get the ICLA signed before we accept the contribution.
>
> Thinking about the next step, assuming RIM folks would like to become not
> just "contributors", but "committers".  Even if they don't, we will likely
> have other contributors that would like to become committers.
>
> How do we turn "contributors" into "committers"?
>
> My understanding is each Apache process comes up with a process and
> policies for making this happen.  For instance, in the WebKit community,
> what happens is that once a contributor has made > X contributions, a
> committer may nominate that contributor to be a committer, and a vote is
> held.  I believe Eclipse is roughly the same.

that's pretty much it. it shouldn't be about X contributions, but rather a
demonstration that the individual understands the goals of three community
and works towards those goals. I'm an Apache project we sell to recognise
all contributions, including non-code ones.

Each project is free top define their own criteria. Some like very low
barriers, others prefer a minimum period of sustained engagement. Its
really up to the existing community to define.

> Is that about right?  Where do Apache projects typically document such
> policies/processes, and are there some exemplars we can base ours on?

there are some indicators of what to consider at
http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

That page also describes how to process new committers as well.